AVMA Model Veterinary Practice Act
Section 14 – Discipline of Licensees
Upon written complaint sworn by any person, the Board, in its sole discretion, may, after a hearing, revoke, suspend, or limit for a certain time the license of, or otherwise discipline, any licensee (for the purpose this Section, “licensee” means a licensed veterinarian or credentialed veterinary technician) for any of the following reasons:
#17. The dispensing, distribution, prescription, or administration of any veterinary prescription drug, or the extralabel use of any drug, in the absence of a veterinarian-client-patient relationship.
This policy addresses how prescriptions will be handled for online pharmacy use. The policy is set in the best interest of our patients, clients, and doctors. This policy is set in keeping with the laws of the state of Illinois.
Prescriptions for outside pharmacies will be provided under the following conditions:
- There is a valid Client-Patient-Doctor relationship as required by law. The patient must have been examined for the condition requiring the prescription. The patient must be a current patient; defined as one that has been examined in the last year. Photos of your animal do not replace an examination.
- For all heartworm prescriptions the dog must have a current heartworm test. Heartworm tests are current for one year.
- Prescriptions must be faxed to the office from the pharmacy. No written scripts are available.
- Prescriptions will be done within 1-2 business days. Due to our appointment schedule we are not able to provide a script on the spot.
- There is a $15 prescription fee to cover the Doctors cost of liability, for all scripts to outside pharmacies. This fee may be waived if using our recommended pharmacy.
- The Doctor has the right to refuse a script to any pharmacy they feel is disreputable or may pose a threat to their license. The Doctors have invested time and money into their profession. It is the intent of our staff to safeuard the health of our patients as well as the Doctors liability. Any client having been found to obtain a prescription to be used at a pharmacy that the doctor asks not to be used, will be dismissed from this business and may face legal action should an issue arise with the action.
For further information on online pharmacies please go to http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048164.htm